Maharashtra Tourism --- The Offical website of the Maharashtra Tourism
Search
Register About Maharashtra Tourists Delight Cities to Visit Plan Your Trip Travel Tips Tools MTDC Connect Home Pint this page Site Map
Articles
Online Brochures
Ganesh Gallery
E Greetings
Image Gallery
Video Clipping
Wallpaper
Maps of Maharashtra
Clips Resort Rooms
Attractions
TV Commercials of MTDC
 
Deccan Odyssey
 
World Heritage site
 
MTDC Festival
Maharashtra Tourism --- The Offical website of the Maharashtra Tourism
Fort of Maharashtra
Lohagarh Visapur Fort
Lohagarh Visapur Fort
Lohagarh fort is 7kms south of Malavali station on the Pune-Mumbai railway line.  Situated on a side range of Sahyadri mountains, if divides the basins of Indrayani and Pavana rivers.  Close to Lohagarh, on its eastern side, there is another fort, called Visapur.  The approach to Lohagarh is from the village Lohadwadi, situated in the depression between Lohagarh and Visapur.  Climbing from the north towards the village, one can see on the left side the famous Buddhist caves of Bhaja.  The four large gats of Lohagarh are very intricately arranged and are still intact.  In the later Peshwa period, Nana Fadanis (1742-1800 AD) built several structures in the fort including a big tank and a step-well (bawali).  There is also a small temple and grave of a muslim pir.  On the west side of the fort there is a long and narrow wall like fortified spur called Vinchukata in Marathi (scorpion sting) because of its natural shape.
Visapur Fort is larger and also higher than Lohgarh fort.  Now in ruins, its history is closely linked with that of Lohagarh.  Making use of its higher position, the British troops in 1818 AD set up their canons on Visapur and bombarded Lohagarh, forcing the Marathas to leave the fort.  Lohagarh has a long history.  It was occupied by many dynasties: Satavahanas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas, Bahamanis, Nizamshahis, Mughals and Maarathas.  Lohagarh was captured by Shivaji in 1648 AD. but by the Treaty of Purandar he had to surrender it to the Mughals in 1665 AD.  It was recaptured by Shivaji in 1670 AD and was used for keeping the treasury.  Then on, the fort remained with the Marathas.  Ultimately Lohagarh-Visapur was taken over by the British in 1818 AD.
Pictures: The steep approach to Lohagarh (above, left) and steps leading to one of its main gates (inset).  Distant view of the pathways leading to the top of the fort and the Pavana River in the background (above, right).  The intricate pattern of the main doorways of Lohagarh, as seen from the top of the fort (below)
 
 
 
 
Forts
Murud-Janjira Fort
Raigarh Fort
Rajgarh Fort
Pratapgarh Fort
Lohagarh-Visapur Fort
Sindhudurg Fort
Kulaba-Alibag Fort
Kondana-Sinhagarh Fort
Shivaneri Fort
Purandar Fort
Vijayadurg Fort
Panhala Fort
Ajinkyatara-Samara Fort
Suvarnadurg Fort
Vasai Fort
Devagiri-Daulatabad Fort
Ballalpur, Chandrapur and Manikgarh Forts
Balapur Fort
Gavilgarh Fort
Tryambak and Chakan Forts
Narnala, Akola and Achalpur Forts
Ahmadnagar Fort
Mahur Fort
Pauni and Nagardhan Forts
top
Top
 
Forts of Maharashtra
Watch Video clips
 
bottom
WebMaster | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Image Gallery | Site Help | Contact Us | Home