Maharashtra Tourism --- The Offical website of the Maharashtra Tourism
  Search
Register About Maharashtra Tourists Delight Cities to Visit Plan Your Trip Travel Tips Tools MTDC Connect Home Pint this page Site Map
Articles
Online Brochures
Ganesh Gallery
E Greetings
Image Gallery
Video Clipping
Wallpaper
Maps of Maharashtra
Clips Resort Rooms
Attractions
TV Commercials of MTDC
 
Deccan Odyssey
 
World Heritage site
 
MTDC Festival
Maharashtra Tourism --- The Offical website of the Maharashtra Tourism
Fort of Maharashtra
Sindhudurg Fort
Sindhudurg Fort
Sindhudurg fort stands on a rocky island, known as Kurte, barely a km, from the Malavan is 510kms south of Mumbai and 130kms north of Goa.  Sindhudurg was built in 1664-67 AD by Chhatrapati shivaji Maharaj when all his attempts to take the island fort of Janjira proved futile.  The construction was done under the supervision of Hiroji Indulkar, an able architect.  Chhatrapati shivaji Maharaj had invited 100 Portuguese experts from Goa for the construction of the fort.  It is also recorded that 3000 workers were employed round the clock for three years to build Sindhudurg.  It was the body from the Sack of Surat that went into the building of Sindhudurg.
One of the best preserved forts of the Marathas, the 48 acre Sindhudurg fort has a four kms long zigzag line of 9 metres high and 3 metres wide rampart with 42 bastions.  Apart from the huge stones, the building material involved 2000 khandis (72,576kgs)of iron erecting the massive curtain wall and bastions. A notable feature is that the foundation stones were laid down firmly in molten lead.
The fort is approachable from the Malavan pier by a boat through a narrow navigable channel between two smaller islands of Dhontara and Padmagad.  The main gate, flanked by massive bastions, faces the city.  On the parapet, close to the entrance, under two small domes Chhatrapati shivaji Maharaj’s palm and footprint in dry lime are preserved.  Also, in thefort there is the Chhatrapati shivaji Maharaj temple - the only one of its kind in the country – where the image of Chhatrapati shivaji Maharaj is without a beard! Inside the fort there are some temples, tanks and three wells.  It also houses some twenty Hindu-Muslim hereditary families.  On a rocky island between Sindhudurg and the coast stood the small for of Padmagad, now in ruins. It acted as a screen for Sindhudurg and was also used for ship-building.
After Chhatrapati shivaji Maharaj, Sindhudurg passed through the hands of Rajaram-Tarabai, Angres, Peshwa and the Bhosales of Kolhapur.  It was briefly captured by the British in 1765 Ad And was renamed by them as ‘Fort Augustus’.  Later in 1818 AD, the British dismantled the fort’s defence structures.
Picture: Sindhudurg from the eastern side; the main gate is hidden behind the two bastions (above).  Outside the southern wall there is a small beach, called Ramichi Vela in Marathi, where Tarabai used to enjoy her sea-bath (below)
Sindhudurg Fort
 
 
 
Forts
Murud-Janjira Fort
Raigarh Fort
Rajgarh Fort
Pratapgarh Fort
Lohagarh-Visapur Fort
Sindhudurg Fort
Kulaba-Alibag Fort
Kondana-Sinhagarh Fort
Shivaneri Fort
Purandar Fort
Vijayadurg Fort
Panhala Fort
Ajinkyatara Fort
Suvarnadurg Fort
Vasai Fort
Devagiri-Daulatabad Fort
Ballalpur, Chandrapur and Manikgarh Forts
Balapur Fort
Gavilgarh Fort
Tryambak and Chakan Forts
Narnala, Akola and Achalpur Forts
Ahmadnagar Fort
Mahur Fort
Pauni and Nagardhan Forts
top
Top
 
Forts of Maharashtra
Watch Video clips
 
bottom
WebMaster | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Image Gallery | Site Help | Contact Us | Home