Kihim is a small coastal town in the vicinity of Alibaug located on the western coast of India in the Raigad district of Maharashtra. The place is famous for its beaches, scattered shells and coconut plantations. It is a popular weekend getaway for tourists from Mumbai and Pune.
Districts/ Region :
Raigad district , Maharashtra, India.
Kihim village evolved during the 17th century during the reign of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj under the observation of Sarkhel Kanhoji Angre. Since the beach is not entirely discovered by tourists one can enjoy the unpolluted beaches at this place.
Kihim is a coastal place located in the Konkan region of Maharashtra in between the Sahyadri mountains and the Arabian sea. It is located 12 KM to the north of Alibaug, 97 KM away from Mumbai and 169 KM away from Pune.
The prominent weather in the region is rainfall, the Konkan belt experiences High Rainfall (ranges around 2500 mm to 4500 mm), and the climate remains Humid and warm. The temperature reaches up to 30 degrees Celsius during this season.
Summers are hot and humid, and the temperature touches 40 degrees Celsius.
Winters have a comparatively milder climate (around 28 degrees Celsius), and the weather remains Cool and Dry
Things to do :
1. Water sports activities like parasailing, banana boat rides, bumper rides, jet skiing, surfing, kayaking, fishing, etc.
2. Horse riding and buggies are also available for riding on the beach.
Nearest tourist place :
1. Kolaba Fort is off the coast of Alibaug into the sea, 12.8 KM to the south of Kihim beach.
2. Khanderi Fort situated in the Arabian sea
3. Alibaug is 12 KM south of Kihim is known as mini Goa and is famous for water sports.
4. Akshi Beach, situated 18 KM to the south of Kihim which attracts tourists for its beauty.
5. Varsoli beach, a lesser-visited beach by the tourists, is the famous Naval base for the Indian Army located 11.3 KM south of Kihim.
6. Places like Kankeshwar Temple, Birla Temple, Angre Samadhi are in the vicinity of Kihim beach.
Special food speciality and hotel :
Being on the coastal part of Maharashtra, seafood is a speciality here. Since it is one of the most visited tourist destinations and connected to Mumbai the restaurants here serve a variety of cuisine. The menu is mainly dominated by fish and rice dishes.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station :
Several accommodation options are available in the form of hotels, resorts and homestays. A Multi-speciality hospital is at a distance of 2.9 KM.The nearest post office is available at Mapgaon at a distance of 5.4 KM. The nearest police station is at Zirad at a distance of 6.2 KM.
MTDC Resort nearby details :
Nearest MTDC resort is available at Alibaug.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit :
The place is accessible throughout the year. The best time to visit is from October to March since the plentiful rainfall lasts from June to October, and the summers are hot and humid. Tourists should check the timings of high as well as low tides before entering into the sea. High tides during the monsoon season could be dangerous hence should be avoided.
Language spoken in area :