Kolad is a small town located in Rohataluka near the western coast of India in the Raigad district of Maharashtra. Over the past few years, the place became famous for its adventure activities and river rafting is the prime activity amongst them.
Raigad district of Maharashtra, India.Raigad district of Maharashtra, India.
White water river rafting is a popular adventure water sport for people from Mumbai and Pune as it is near. The Kundalika River in Kolad is the best option for white water rafting in Maharashtra. A large amount of water is released from a local dam each morning which creates good opportunities for rafting. The river rafting activities are promoted by the Government of Maharashtra.
Kolad is in between lush green Sahyadri mountains and the turquoise Arabian sea on the bank of River Kundalikain the Konkan region of Maharashtra. The place has several waterfalls in the surroundings. It is 114 KM south of Mumbai and 118 KM to the west of Pune.
The prominent weather in the region is rainfall, the Konkan belt experiences High Rainfall (ranges around 2500 mm to 4500 mm), and the climate remains Humid and warm. The temperature reaches up to 30 degrees Celsius during this season.
Summers are hot and humid, and the temperature touches 40 degrees Celsius.
Winters have a comparatively milder climate (around 28 degrees Celsius), and the weather remains Cool and Dry.
Things to do:
Kolad is famous for water sport activities such as white water rafting and boating. It also provides other adventure activities like hiking, camping, nature walks, trekking and bungee jumping. Kolad has a lot of thrilling activities for travellers. Due to its advantageous location, one can also enjoy paragliding in Kolad when the day is clear.
Nearest tourist spot:
- One can plan to visit the following tourist places along with Kolad.
- Tamhinighat: Situated 37 KM east of Kolad, this place is famous for its scenic beauty and cascading waterfalls. TamhiniGhat is a gorgeous mountain channel that has got popular recently amongst Punekars and even Mumbaikars.
- Bhira dam: Situated 29.4 KM east of Kolad. Bhira Dam is popular amongst tourists for boating, photography and picnicking. One can also indulge in activities like water rafting as the flow of the river is pretty decent making you have the best experience.
- Plus-valley Trek: Located 45 KM east of Kolad, the medium level trekking trail is known for its breathtaking views.
- Devkund waterfall: Situated 30 KM to the east of Kolad, Devkund Waterfalls is a charming waterfall surrounded by green fields and high cliffs. The forest around the waterfall is lush green and dense with many species of beautiful birds.
- Tala fort: Situated 27 KM to the southwest of Kolad, 1000 feet above sea level, Tala Fort is a popular viewpoint in Kolad.
- Ghosalgad fort: Located 21.7 KM to the west of Kolad, the fort is known for its architecture and design.
Special food specialty and hotel:
Being located near the coastal part of Maharashtra, seafood and Maharashtrian cuisine is a specialty here. However, it is one of the most visited tourist destinations and is connected to Mumbai, the restaurants here serve a variety of cuisine.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Accommodation is available in the form of Hotels, cottages, homestays and riverside camping.
Many hospitals are around Kolad.
The nearest post office is available at a distance of 1 KM.
The nearest police station is at a distance of 1.4 KM.
MTDC Resort nearby details:
The nearest MTDC resort is in Karla which is 89 KM away from Kolad.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit:
While the summers here are a little humid compared to the other seasons, the rainy season is the best time to enjoy a river rafting experience in Kolad.
During the rainy season the entire region comes to life, one can witness numerous waterfalls and rivers flowing at higher velocities
During the winter season, one can enjoy the scenic beauty of the region with dipping temperatures.
Language spoken in area:
English, Hindi, Marathi