Bhandara is an administrative district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. Bhandara is home to the district headquarters. The district covers 4087 km2 and has a population of 1,200,334 people (male 605,520, female 594,814), 19.48 percent of them live in cities (as of 2011). It's also known as the "District of Lakes" or "Brass City." Agriculture, industries, and forest resources all contribute to the economy of Bhandara. Bhandara is well-known for its high rice production. A notable rice market can be found in Tumsar, a tahsil town. Due to the presence of a big brass goods sector, Bhandara is also known as 'Brass City. About Bhandara The name Bhandara is thought to be a misspelling of Bhanara by locals. An inscription dating from 1100 A.D. unearthed in Ratanpur mentions Bhanara. From 1818 to 1830, the area was governed by the regency. The district was controlled from Lanji prior to 1820, but in 1820-21, the district headquarters were moved from Lanji to Bhandara.In 1853, the territory was designated as British Territory. The district had only two tahsils in 1881, namely Tirora and Sakoli. Between 1911 and 1955, there were no major changes to the district's or talukas' boundaries, save that the headquarters of Tirora tahsil were moved to Gondiya and the tahsil's name was changed to Gondiya tahsil in 1914. Places of Interest AMBAGAR FORT,ANDHALGAON,ADYAR,BONDGAONBRAHMI, CHAUNDESHWARI DEVI, CHANDPUR, DIGHORI, GOSIKHURD PROJECT/INDIRASAGAR DAM GAIMUKH, GONDUMRI, KOKA, RAWANWADI Tourist Places Maha Samadhi Bhumi, Umred Karhandla Wildlife Sanctuary, Korambhi Temple, Gosekhurd Dam, Koka Wildlife Sanctuary How to Reach By Air : Air Facility Available upto Dr. BAI Airport, Nagpur (MS) which is 65 Km from Bhandara. By Train: From Nagpur Railway Station to Warthi Railway Station ( Bhandara). ( One hour Journey ). By Road: Nagpur – Pardi – Bhandara, NH-6. ( 60 KM ) Maha Samadhi Bhumi : Approximate 46 KM by road ( 1 hour 3 mins ) from Bhandara. Rawanwadi Dam : Approximate 21 KM by road ( 36 mins ) from Bhandara. Umred Karhandla Wildlife Sanctuary : Approximate 79 KM by road ( 1 hour 52 mins ) from Bhandara. Korambhi Temple : Approximate 8 KM by road ( 22 mins ) from Bhandara. Indira Sagar Dam : Approximate 44 KM by road ( 1 hour 4 mins ) from Bhandara. Koka Wildlife Sanctuary : Approximate 27 KM by road ( 44 mins ) from Bhandara.
The name "Bandra" possibly originates from the Persian word for port, or "bandar." It is described by Duncan Forbes's A Dictionary, Hindustani and English'(1848) as "a city; an emporium; a port, harbor; a trading town to which numbers of foreign merchants resort". In Marathi, Bandra is known as Vandre, which also means 'port' and is possibly derived from the same Urdu/Persian word. The area was under the rule of the Silhara dynasty in the 12th century. Bandra was a tiny fishing village inhabited by Kolis (fishermen) and farmers. It was under the Portuguese before it was acquired by the British East India Company.