Bharatgad rests on the south shore of Kalavali creek in Masure village of Malvan taluka and has an area of about 5 to 6 acres. As the fort is now home to private Mango plantations the structures are well maintained and the citadel and bastions are still intact.
The Phond Savants joined the Peshwas against Tulaji Angre who later attacked Bharatgad in 1748 and won the fort. But sooner the Savants won back the fort. In 1787 the Savants lost the fort to the ruler of Karvir but they handed the fort back to the Savants. In 1818, Captain Hutchinson won the fort into the British Empire. It was observed that the water of the well had disappeared owing to the gun shots and the garrison used wooden barrels to store water.