Lonar lake, also known as Lonar crater, is formed due to the meteorite collision. It is a notified Geo-heritage Monument with saline and alkaline water. Also declared as Wildlife sanctuary for the conservation of animals, plants as well as lake.
Satara district, Maharashtra, India.
The construction of the dam began in 1956 and it was opened in 1964. It is the 2nd largest completed hydroelectric project in India. After the first world war, a hydroelectric project on the Koyna river was built by the Tata group. This dam has experienced various tremors in the past due to which some cracks had appeared on it but later on it has been strengthened and it is believed to be strong enough to tolerate any tectonic activities in the future.
The Koyna River is a tributary of the Krishna river and originates in Mahabaleshwar, Satara district, western Maharashtra, India. It rises near Mahabaleshwar, a famous hill station in the Western ghats. Unlike most of the other rivers in Maharashtra that flow east-west direction, the Koyna river flows in a north-south direction. The dam is surrounded by hilly terrain and it is located between Koyna Sanctuary and Chandoli National Park.
The region has a hot-semi arid climate year-round with an average temperature ranging from 19-33 degrees Celsius.
April and May are the hottest months in Pune when the temperature reaches up to 42 degrees Celsius.
Winters are extreme, and the temperature can go as low as 10 degrees Celsius at night, but the average daytime temperature is around 26 degrees Celsius.
The annual rainfall in the region is around 763 mm.
Things to do
Apart from scenic beauty of the Koyna reservoir, tourists can also visit surrounding places like Nehru garden, Shivsagar lake, Vasota fort, Ozarde waterfall, Shri Ram temple.
Nearest tourist places
- Kaas plateau: - The Kaas Plateau reserved forest is a plateau situated 25 kilometres west of Satara city in Maharashtra, India. It falls under the Sahyadri range of the Western ghats, and it became a part of a UNESCO world natural heritage site in 2012. Kaas has more than 850 different species of flowering plants. A must visit place for Botany enthusiasts, florists, nature lovers and Photographers.
- Thoseghar waterfall: - Surrounded by tall mountains on three sides, the stunning Thoseghar waterfalls is a treat for visitors and can be easily visited during a trip to Satara in the Maharashtra Konkan region. It is believed to be one of the tallest waterfalls in the state.
- Ajinkyatara Fort: - The fort of Ajinkyatara is one of the most important tourist’s attractions owing to its historyin Maharashtra. This hill fort was under the control of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj during his reign and has witnessed some of the most important events of Maratha empire. The word ‘Ajinkyatara’ literally means the unbeatable fort. It is one of the most extraordinarycreation of Maratha architecture in Satara.
- Sangam Mahuli: - Sangam Mahuli and kshetra Mahuli are two villages that are located at the confluence of the Venna and the Krishna rivers in the Satara district of Maharashtra. Sangam translates to confluence Sangam Mahuli is a popular pilgrimage destination in Satara. The place bears areligious importance as many of the ancient temples can be seen in this region.
- Natraj mandir: - Natraj mandir of Satara is located in the state of Maharashtra. As it is animitation of the Chidambaram temple of Tamilnadu, it is also known by the name Uttara Chidambaram temple. Natraj, a depiction of Lord Shiva as a divine dancer, is the deity of this site. A lot of classical dancers from all over the India visit this place and perform at the cultural Programme which is organised at this place by the temple committee every year.
- Bamnoli: - Located at a distance of around 36 KM from Satara in Maharashtra. Bamnoli is a beautiful village mostly known for its panoramic beauty and gorgeous landscape. Surrounded by the magnificent Shivsagar lake, a must visit place for those who want some peaceful time out of their hectic schedule. The serene environment serves as a beautiful picnic spot for visitors and also offers activities like boating.
- Mayani bird sanctuary: - It is one of the popular Satara tourist places as Mayani sanctuary has inhabited different species and varieties of birds. This sanctuary is a perfect getaway for nature lovers from all over the globe. As much as 400 different varieties of the birds can be observed in this sanctuary.
Special food speciality and hotel
Satara is well known for its sweet: Kandi Pedhe. This is a special delicacy of milk which is prepared by pure full-fat milk available in nearby villages. It has its natural richness and sweetness. Kandi pedhe has its unique test and is not sugar-loaded like other pedhas available in the market.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Various hotels and restaurants are available in Koyna dam.
Hospitals are in the Koyna dam around 24.1 KM.
The nearest Post office is at a distance of 2.4 KM.
The nearest police station is available at a distance of 2.0 KM.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit
The monsoon season brings out the best in the dam’s beauty and creates a fantastic atmosphere that should be experienced once. However, it does look gracefully beautiful all through the year and invites travellers from all over to admire its beauty.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi and Marathi.