Bhau Daji Lad Museum is in Mumbai. It is known for exhibiting Mumbai’s Natural and Cultural History. It is also known as the city Museum of Mumbai.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Bhau Daji Lad Museum is at the entrance of Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan (commonly known as Byculla Zoo). It was earlier known as Victoria and Albert Museum, Bombay. The museum started in 1857 for common people. It is the oldest Museum in Mumbai and is considered a significant historical site of the city of Mumbai. It was the first colonial building constructed for the museum.
The idea of constructing a museum in Mumbai first appeared in 1850, while preparing the first ‘Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of all Nations’ to be held in London in 1851. The Exhibition catalyzed the new museum that was set up at the Town Barracks in Fort, known as the ‘Government Central Museum’.
Around a hundred years later, on 1st November 1975, this museum was renamed as ‘Dr. Bhau Daji Lad Museum’ in honour of the person whose vision and dedication were the key ingredients behind the establishment of this museum. Dr Bhau Daji Lad was the first Indian Sheriff of Mumbai. He was even a great philanthropist, historian, physician, surgeon and secretary of the Museum Committee when this museum was founded. Till 1997, the museum was in a dilapidated condition and The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) called upon INTACH for the restoration works. Among MCGM, the Jamnalal Bajaj Foundation and INTACH, a tripartite agreement was signed in February 2003 to restore this museum. The extensive works were done for almost five years and the museum was reopened for the public on 4th January 2008.
This 19th-century Victorian building consists of various kinds of exhibits and one can see a variety of galleries in the museum. Some of the galleries include Art Gallery, Kamalnayan Bajaj Mumbai Gallery, The Founder’s Gallery, 19th Century Paintings Gallery, Origins of Mumbai Gallery and Kamalnayan Bajaj Special Exhibitions Gallery.
There are distinct kinds of sculptural masterpieces from the 19th century which have been placed in the museum in an open space. At the entrance of the Museum, one can see a restored Elephant Sculpture dating back to the 6th century BCE. This sculpture was found on Elephanta Island due to which the Island got its name as ‘Elephanta Island’.
There are a large number of archaeological findings, maps, and historical photographs of Mumbai along with clay models, silver and copperware and costumes that can be seen in this museum. One of the important collections of this museum includes a manuscript of Hatim Tai belonging to the 17th Century. In addition, a clock tower which is known as David Sasson Clock Tower attracts our eyesight.
The museum is in the city of Mumbai at the entrance of the famous Byculla Zoo. The museum is in the city of Mumbai at the entrance of the famous Byculla Zoo.
The climate of this place is of tropical monsoon type with abundance of rainfall, the Konkan belt experiences High Rainfall ranges around 2500 mm to 4500 mm. The temperature reaches up to 30 degrees Celsius during this season.
Summers are hot and humid, and the temperature touches 40 degrees Celsius.
Winters in the region have comparatively milder climate (around 28 degrees Celsius), and the weather remains Cool and Dry
Things to do
Tourists can visit places such as Upvan Lake, a popular recreational spot. Beside TalaoPali, KopineshwarMandir is an old, domed Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. One can pay a visit to Sanjay Gandhi National Park and Flamingo Sanctuary. As it is Informally known as the city of lakes, one can visit many beautiful lakes in and around the city.
Nearest tourist places
One can plan to visit the following tourist places along with Thane:
- Sanjay Gandhi National Gandhi Park: It is a protected area in Mumbai, the state of Maharashtra in India. It was established in 1996 with headquarters at Borivali. It is one of the notable major national parks existing within a metro city and it is one of the most visited parks in the world. The rich flora and fauna of Sanjay Gandhi National Park attract more than 20 lakhtourersper year.
- Tikuji-Ni-Wadi: It is an amusement park, water park, and resort near Mumbai and Thane. The amusement park offers activities like go-karting, roller coasters rides, giant wheels rides and a water park.
- Thane Creek Flamingo Sanctuary: It is the second marine sanctuary preceded by Malvan Marine Sanctuary of Maharashtra. It is recognized as an ‘Important Bird Area’. It inhabits 39 categories of mangrove species, more than 150 species of birds like flamingos, 59 butterfly species, near about 45 species of different fishes, numerous insect species and mammals like jackals.
- Kamshet: Kamshetis popularly knonwn as one of India's premiere destinations for adventure sports specialised in paragliding. The recommended period for paragliding here is from October to May. It is located at a distance of 49 KM from Pune and 104 KM from Mumbai. It also offers outdoor activities like boat tours, water sports, parasailing and paragliding.
- Tansa Dam: The dam is a popular tourist spot owing to its picturesque environment and serenity. People come here in huge numbers to spend an evening in search of peace out of their hectic schedule and even for day picnics.
Special food speciality and hotel
Thane offers authentic Maharashtrian cuisine and even food joints from all over India. Since it is in the vicinity of Mumbai, all types of cuisines are available in Thane.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Various hotels, resorts and lodges are available in Thane. Thane city has a well-developed network of hospitals
The nearest post office is at a distance of 1.3 KM.
The nearest police station is at a distance of 0.4 KM
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit
Thane is accessible throughout the year. The best time to visit Thane is during October – March when an average temperature remains around 22degree celsius.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi, Marathi and Gujrati.