Nanded is a city in Maharashtra state, India. It is the eighth largest urban cluster of the state. It is one of the historic cities in the Marathwada subdivision.
Nanded District, Maharashtra, India.
Nanded is an old and historic religious centre. It is the second-largest city in the Marathwada subdivision. Nanded is the centre of governance of the Nanded district. Nanded is a destination of paramount importance for Sikh pilgrims because the 10th Sikh Guru (Guru Gobind Singh) made Nanded his permanent dwelling place and passed his Guruship to the Guru Granth Sahib before starting his eternal journey in 1708.
The district of Nanded is surrounded in the North by Yavatmal District, in the West by Parbhani, Latur and Osmanabad districts, in the South by Bidur district of Karnataka and in the East by Nizamabad and Adilabad districts of Andhra Pradesh. The soil is mostly formed from igneous rocks and is black and medium black.
The region has a hot and dry climate. The summers are more extreme than winters and monsoon, with a temperature up to 40.5 degrees Celsius.
Winters are mild, and the average temperature varies from 28-30 degrees Celsius.
Monsoon season has extreme seasonal variations, and the annual rainfall in the region is around 726 mm.
Things to do
Gurudwaras and Forts form a significant aspect of tourism in Nanded. It is an excellent place for history enthusiasts and adventure seekers. It is famous for its Gurudwara, ancient forts, street food, etc. The city boasts of an exciting blend of the old form with the modern.
Nearest tourist places
Other places to visit along with Nanded:
● Shri Hazur Sahib: Nanded is popular as a Sikh pilgrimage destination because of Shri Hazur Sahib, housing one of the five Takhts known to be of supreme importance in Sikhism. It is the same place where Guru GovindSinghji, the tenth Guru of Sikhs breathed his last.
● Nanded Fort: One can soak in the views of the mighty Godavari surrounding the fort. Blessed with great views, the fort proves to be a popular attraction in Nanded for photographers and architecture as well as history enthusiasts.
● Sahastrakund Waterfall: Sahastrakund Waterfall on the Banganga River is about 107 KM from Nanded and is a perfect place to beat the stress. Due to its height of almost 50 ft, the Waterfall is popularly known as “Niagara Falls of Marathwada”. By climbing the watchtower in the vicinity of the waterfall one can get an aerial view of the place. The place is accessible to travelers throughout the year, however it is highly recommended to visit Sahastrakund Waterfall during the monsoon to enjoy it at its best.
● Kandhar Fort: Spread along in the area of 24 acres and surrounded by a moat, the Kandhar Fort located at a distance of 34 KM from Nanded. Popular tourist attractions include the Jinsi Gate, the Machali Gate, Lal Mahal, Durbar Mahal, Ambar Khana and the popular Sheesh Mahal.
● Kaleshwar Temple: Located on the banks of River Godavari, Kaleshwar the place has gathered the tourist attention owing to its location. Popular fortranquillity with gorgeous views, one can seek blessings at the attractive temple, catch the pleasing sunset or can enjoy the delightful boat ride. Kaleshwar Temple is a perfect place to take a break from the hectic schedule and enjoy the serenity being offered by it.
Special food speciality and hotel
Nanded is a mixture of many communities sharing their food from the past few decades and has introduced many tasty dishes.
● Tehri– The dish is made of cooked rice with lots of spices and veggies. The dish is a little spicy in taste available in both veg and non-veg.
● Biryani– Biryani is a dish made up of cooked rice. Biryani has many forms in India like Hyderabadi biryani, mutton biryani, chicken biryani and so on. One can get all types of biryani over here but their vegetable biryani is highly recommended over any other biryani.
● Shakes– The shakes that are sold on the streets of Nanded are the best drinks that someone can have in the hot weather of the city. They will charge anybody up even in the hottest weather.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Various hotels and resorts are available in Nanded
There are various hospitals in Nanded.
The nearest post office is at a distance of 2.4 KM.
The nearest Police station is at 0.7 KM.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit
Nanded experiences scorching summers, cold winters and heavy rains. The winter season is the best time to visit this historic city. Winter starts in November and continues until February. Visitors can comfortably enjoy sightseeing and other activities.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi, Marathi, Punjabi