Nandur Madhmeshwar - DOT-Maharashtra Tourism
Nandur Madhmeshwar is a large water reservoir in Niphad taluka,Nashik. It is at the confluence of the Godavari and Kadva rivers.It also houses the bird sanctuary, popularly known as the Bharatpur of Maharashtra.
Nashik district, Maharashtra, India.
Nandur Madhmeshwar is a stone embankment on the Godavari river. The deposition and accumulation of silt and organic matter carried in the past ninety years in the lake has created islands, shallow water ponds and marshland. This is the first wetland in Maharashtra enlisted in Ramsar sites. Owing to its geographical location and mild climate it attracts local and migratory birds throughout the year. Being a preferred destination for bird watching, it is also known as Bharatpur of Maharashtra.
The Nandur Madhmeshwar wetland is on the confluence of the Godavari and Kadava rivers in the Nashik district of Maharashtra. The geographical location and huge situation have transferred this man-made reservoir into a good wetland habitat.
The average annual temperature is 24.1 degrees Celsius.
Winters are extreme in this region, and the temperature goes as low as 6 degrees Celsius.
The sun is very harsh during summers. It gets more rain during summer than winters. The temperature during summer goes above 30 degrees Celsius.
The average annual rainfall is around 1134 mm.
Things to do
This place is also famous for the Nandur Madhmeshwar Bird Sanctuary. A paradise for bird lovers and watchers. The area has many temples in the vicinity. The reservoir, when in its full capacity gives a panoramic view of the surroundings and its enthralling fauna.
Nearest tourist places
●Dudhsagar falls: - Dudhsagar falls, also known asSomeshwar falls is one of the most captivating Nashik tourist places that you can visit. The best time to visit the Dudhsagar falls is during the monsoon when everything around the place becomes more engrossing.
Dudhsagar waterfall is a popular tourist attractionduring the months of July to September.
●Saptashrungi: - Shree Saptshrungi Gad is situated at adistance of 60 km from Nashik in Kalwan Tahsil. The temple is situated at 4659 feet above sea level, on a hill surrounded by seven peaks. It is considered to be Ardha (half) Shaktipeeth out of Sade-teen (three and half)Shakti Peeths in Maharashtra. The statue of the goddess is about eight feet high, carved in relief out of the natural rock. She has eighteen hands, nine on each side, each hand holding a different weapon.
● Trimbakeshwar Temple: - Shri Trimbakeshwar Temple is located at a distance of about 28 km from Nashik,Maharashtra near the mountain named Brahamagiri from which the river Godavari flows. It was constructed by third Peshwa Balaji Bajirao (1740-1760) on the site of an old temple. Trimbakeshwar Temple is a religious centre having one of the twelve Jyotirlingas.
● Pandavleni caves: - Pandavleni is one such place that falls in Nashik, Maharashtra. It is a chain of 24 caves of the Buddhist era. It is a very much undiscovered beauty that deserves a visit. It is popular amongst the trekkers.Its green surrounding attracts many tourists, nature and peace lovers from the surrounding regions.
● Anjaneri Hills: - The Anjaneri Hills derive their name from Goddess Anjana, as it is believed that the Goddess Anjana gave birth to Lord Hanuman in the cave which is located near the top of this hill and it is one of the holy places to visit in Nashik. Among the Nashik tourist places, climbing Anjaneri Hill is a tough task.
● Gangapur dam: - Amongst all the places to visit in Nashik, the Gangapur dam is a must. Situated approximately 63 KM away from the Nandur Madhmeshwar is the Gangapur Dam, a highly enthralling tourist destination. It is situated on the banks of the sacred River Godavari. The dam also provides water sport activities and has boat club operated by MTDC.
● Dugarwadi waterfall: - Dugarwadi waterfall is one of the most fascinating sites to visit in Nashik. The magnificent waterfall is located 81 KM away from Nandur Madhmeshwar. This is a must visit place during monsoon if you want to witness the true beauty of Nashik’s rural surroundings.
Special food speciality and hotel
Maharashtrian Cuisine is the speciality of this place including Vegetarian as well as Non-vegetarian dishes.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Various hotels are available at Niphad which is located at a distance of 12 KM from Nandur Madhmeshwar. Hospitals are available at a distance of 12 KM in Niphad.The nearest post office is available at a distance of 10.5 KM atNaitale.The nearest police station is located at a distance of 11.7 KM atNiphad.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit
The best months to visit Nandur Madhmeshwar are October, November, December, February, and March. The region experiences heavy rainfalls in the months of June and lasts till September.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi, Marathi.