Tandulwadi fort is situated about 4.5 km away on north east side of Saphale Road station on Western Railway. This fort is one of the most beautiful spot for mumbaikars to visit in one day.
One can see the history of the fort in Thane Gazetteer:
It states the following Tandulwadi fort is situated 16km away from Kelve Mahim, at a height of 571meters (nearly 1900 feet) from MSL. Tandulwadi fort is situated at around 4.87 km on north east of Saphale station. In 1737, this fort was captured by Marathas. On the top of the fort, one can find many water cisterns dug in the rocks, water reservoirs and remains of ramparts. Vaitarna River flows to the east of this hill. At the banks of this river a small village called Lalthane is situated. There is a water pond in Lalthane believed to be built by the Portuguese. In thirteenth century, King Bhimdev’s kingdom comprised the cities of Shurparak (Nalasopara) and Mahikawati (Mahim). In 1454, Sultan of Ahmedabad captured Mahikawati. One Bhadurshah conferred the responsibility of Tandulwadi to a Mallik Allauddin. Later the fort was in the hands of Portuguese and then the Peshwas.