Thane is a metropolitan city. In the western region of Maharashtra, India. It is one of the highly industrialized cities in Maharashtra. The city is informally known as the “City of Lakes”.
Thane District of Maharashtra, India.
Thane city has a rich cultural heritage, mythological background, and several historical references. Even today many archaeological collectives are found in and around the city of Thane. In 1787, a copperplate as old as of 1078 AD was found near the foundations of Thane Fort. The British capturedthe island of Salsette, Thane Fort, Versovafort and the island fort of Karanja in 1774. The place has served as a headquarters of the district administration with a district collector positioned in Thane. In the year of 1863 the Thane Municipal Council was formulated.
Thane city lies at the mouth of the Thane Creek and south of Ulhas river, northeast of central Mumbai. The city is situated between the lofty Sahyadri mountains and turquoise Arabian sea to its east and west respectively.
The climate of this place is of tropical monsoon type with abundance of rainfall, the Konkan belt experiences High Rainfall ranges around 2500 mm to 4500 mm. The temperature reaches up to 30 degrees Celsius during this season.
Summers are hot and humid, and the temperature touches 40 degrees Celsius.
Winters in the region have comparatively milder climate (around 28 degrees Celsius), and the weather remains Cool and Dry
Things to do
Tourists can visit places such as Upvan Lake, a popular recreational spot. Beside TalaoPali, KopineshwarMandir is an old, domed Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. One can pay a visit to Sanjay Gandhi National Park and Flamingo Sanctuary. As it is Informally known as the city of lakes, one can visit many beautiful lakes in and around the city.
Nearest tourist places
One can plan to visit the following tourist places along with Thane:-
- Sanjay Gandhi National Gandhi Park: It is a protected area in Mumbai, the state of Maharashtra in India. It was established in 1996 with headquarters at Borivali. It is one of the notable major national parks existing within a metro city and it is one of the most visited parks in the world. The rich flora and fauna of Sanjay Gandhi National Park attract more than 20 lakhtourersper year.
- Tikuji-Ni-Wadi: It is an amusement park, water park, and resort near Mumbai and Thane. The amusement park offers activities like go-karting, roller coasters rides, giant wheels rides and a water park.
- Thane Creek Flamingo Sanctuary: It is the second marine sanctuary preceded by Malvan Marine Sanctuary of Maharashtra. It is recognized as an ‘Important Bird Area’. It inhabits 39 categories of mangrove species, more than 150 species of birds like flamingos, 59 butterfly species, near about 45 species of different fishes, numerous insect species and mammals like jackals.
- Kamshet: Kamshetis popularly knonwn as one of India's premiere destinations for adventure sports specialised in paragliding. The recommended period for paragliding here is from October to May. It is located at a distance of 49 KM from Pune and 104 KM from Mumbai. It also offers outdoor activities like boat tours, water sports, parasailing and paragliding.
- Tansa Dam: The dam is a popular tourist spot owing to its picturesque environment and serenity. People come here in huge numbers to spend an evening in search of peace out of their hectic schedule and even for day picnics.
Special food speciality and hotel
Thane offers authentic Maharashtrian cuisine and even food joints from all over India. Since it is in the vicinity of Mumbai, all types of cuisines are available in Thane.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Various hotels, resorts and lodges are available in Thane. Thane city has a well-developed network of hospitals
The nearest post office is at a distance of 1.3 KM.
The nearest police station is at a distance of 0.4 KM
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit
Thane is accessible throughout the year. The best time to visit Thane is during October – March when an average temperature remains around 22degree celsius.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi and Marathi.