Thoseghar waterfall near Satara is known for being one of the tallest waterfalls in Maharashtra. It is approx. 20 KM away from Satara city. The height of this waterfall is approx. 1200 feet. It is another tourist destination in the proximity of Satara, apart from the Kaas plateau.
Satara District, Maharashtra, India.
The waterfall originates as several small streams that make a picturesque landscape of waterfalls, some of these are 50 to 100 feet in height. While the most elevated one is around 1200 feet tall. The Thoseghar Waterfall is also known as Ram and Lakshman Waterfall. The waterfall is also accompanied by a clean lake, dense forest and hilly region giving a complete package for family picnic near Satara.
The rainwater falling on the mountain ranges at Kaas plateau, Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani hillsgets collected in the Thoseghar Waterfall and further originates as Tarlee River. Many ancient temples and historical places are situated around the waterfalls.
The average annual temperature is 24.1 degrees Celsius.
Winters are extreme in this region, and the temperature goes as low as 12 degrees Celsius.
The sun is very harsh during summers. This region gets more rain during summer than winters. The temperature during summer goes above 30 degrees Celsius.
The average annual rainfall is around 1134 mm.
Things to do
Thoseghar is a monsoon tourist destination. Tourists from Satara, Pune, Mumbai and Kolhapur visit this place during the rainy season. To encourage tourism, local authorities have constructed a platform to enjoy the view of the waterfall and valley, and facilities are being developed.
Nearest tourist places
- Mahabaleshwar: Mahabaleshwar is the supreme hill station of Maharashtra situated in the forested Western Ghat ranges, south of Mumbai. Mahabaleshwar is famous for its rivers, ancient temples, stunning waterfalls, evergreen dense forests, splendid cascades, lofty peaks and valleys. The city is known for its winding roads, strawberry farms and pleasant weather conditions all year round. Distance from Thoseghar waterfall is 77.2 KM
- Panchgani: Panchgani is a hill station located to the southeast of Mumbai in India’s Maharashtra state. It’s known for the Table Land, a huge volcanic plateau. A sublime hill station at an altitude of 4242 ft above mean sea level, owing to its natural beauty Panchgani is a famous destination for shooting of Hindi as well as Marathi movies. Distance from Thoseghar waterfall is 70.7 KM
- Sajjangad: The fort is near Satara, India. On the request of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj his Guru Sant Shri Ramdas Swami, resided here hence it was names as Sajjangadand it was the final resting place of Sant Shri Ramdas Swami in 18th century India. Sajjangad is a popular place of pilgrimage. Distance from Thoseghar waterfall is 12.8 KM
- Chalkewadi (Wind Energy Project): At a distance of 6 KM from Thoseghar Falls and 29 KM from Satara. It is among the popular Satara tourist destinations. Chalkewadi Wind Energy Project in Satara was developed to generate clean energy. There are hundreds of windmills on the adjoining hills.
- Bamnoli: Bamnoli village is the scenic village near Satara which is situated on the bank of Shivsagar Lake formed by the Koyna dam. Boating is the main attraction of Bamnoli village, boating facility is available for tourists to visit Tapola (Mini Kashmir), Vasota Fort and Nageshwar Temple. Distance from Thoseghar waterfall is 57.4 KM
- Fort Pratapgad: Pratapgad literally 'Valour Fort' is a large mountain fort located in Satara district, in the Western Indian state of Maharashtra. The fort has historic importance as it had witness the famous battle between Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and Afzal khan. The fort is now a popular tourist destination. Distance from Thoseghar waterfall is 96.2 KM
Special food speciality and hotel
Satara is well known for its sweet: Kandi Pedhe. Kandi Pedhe is a special delicacy prepared by pure full-fat milk available in nearby villages. It has its natural richness and sweetness. Kandi pedha has its unique test and is not sugar-loaded like other pedhas available in the market. There are also other various street foods, most of which are vegetarian and non-vegetarian too. However, it is one of the most visited tourist destinations. The restaurants here serve a variety of cuisine.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Hotels are available near Thoseghar Waterfall.
The hospital is available at 23.5 KM (38minutes) near Thoseghar Waterfall.
The post office is 17 KM from Thoseghar Waterfall.
The police station is also available at 12.7 KM from Thoseghar Waterfall.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit
The place is accessible throughout the year. The best time to visit Thoseghar falls is during the monsoon season, from July to November.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi, Marathi