Fort George was an extension of the fortifications of Bombay (now Mumbai) built in 1769.
The IIT was located on the site of the former hill fort to the east in the present fort area. The hill on which the hill fort stood was demolished and Fort George was built in its place. In 1862, the fort was demolished. It was built by the British during the Indian War of Independence.