River Gad which originates near the Fort Rangana travels almost 80 kms before meeting the Arabian Sea. It served as an important trade route and a vital transport link in those days and Ramgad fort served as an important vigilance base for the same. This fort was built by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj on a hill dissected from the main mountain range of Sahyadri and has its main doorway, fortification wall and bastion intact till date.
Not much information can be derived on this fort. Tulaji Angre won the fort in the 18th century in the battle with Peshwas. Later, Krishnaji Mahadev who was the Commander of the Peshwas alongwith Sawantwadikars’ Khandaji Mankar won back the fort in February 1796. The British captured the fort on 6th April, 1818. Historical records state there were 21 cannons and 106 cannonballs present on the fort at that time.