Talgad Fort - DOT-Maharashtra Tourism
Agrégateur de contenus
Talgad Fort (Raigad)
Many forts have been built on the mountain ranges surrounding Roha, of which Talgad fort is one. Its main objective was to keep a watch on the Mandad creek where the Kundalika river meets the Arabian sea. Kundalika river served as a vital trade route and thus Talgad, Ghosalgad, Avchitgad forts and Kuda caves were built for its protection which signifies the importance of the trade route.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj's won the fort from Adilshah of Bijapur in 1648 AD. When Afzalkhan attacked the Maratha kingdom in 1659, Talgad fort was seized by Siddi. Later, on hearing the defeat of Afzalkhan, Siddi released the seize citing fear from the Maratha warriors.
The significance of this fort is clearly highlighted from the fact that Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj's retained the fort along with 11 others in the Purandar pact when he had to give away the rest to the Mughals. After the demise of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj's, the fort was won by the Siddi, later in 1735 AD by the first Bajirao Peshwa and thereafter in 1818 AD by General Prathur.