Pandav Kund is also known as Pandavkada is a waterfall in the Kharghar region of Navi Mumbai. The waterfall is considered one of the tallest (approximately 105 metres) waterfalls near Mumbai.
Raigad district, Maharashtra, India.
The Pandav kada got its name from the mythological characters Pandavas. The legends say, this place was visited by the Pandavas from Mahabharat during their exile and took bath at the plunge pool located just under this waterfall. It is a very common practice to connect the unidentified places to Pandavas exile, this may be just folklore. It is a very beautiful and refreshing spot for people from Mumbai and Thane.
The waterfall is on a rocky cliff which is located to the north of Panvel Creek and the east of Vasai creek in the western part of Maharashtra. It is surrounded by thick vegetation.
The climate at this place is hot and humid with abundance of rainfall, the Konkan belt experiences High Rainfall which ranges around 2500 mm to 4500 mm. The temperature reaches up to 30 degrees Celsius during this season.
Summers are hot and humid, and the temperature touches 40 degrees Celsius.
Winters have a comparatively milder climate (around 28 degrees Celsius), and the weather remains Cool and Dry.
Things to do
The natural scenic beauty and clean air is the major attraction to this place. If one wants to take a break from the hectic schedule and want to spend a relaxing time in the company of natural surroundings this is the right place for them. Surrounded by forests and hilly regions this place offers a cool environment as compared to the polluted cities of Mumbai, Thane and the rest of the suburbs. The destination offers some beautiful places for photography though swimming is prohibited.
Nearest tourist places
- Mumbai: The waterfall is situated 29.5 KM away from the capital city of Maharashtra. Mumbai is famous for its beaches, religious places such as Shri Siddhivinayak, Mahalaxmi, Lalbaug Raja, etc. and festivals such as Ganeshotsav as well Gokulashtami. Most importantly it is famous for its Bollywood industry as well as National Park. The city has a lot to offer to its tourists.
- Sanjay Gandhi National Park: The park is situated 52 KM away from Pandav kund waterfall. The park is a protected area and it offers a good picnic spot in the heart of Mumbai. The densely covered forested area has a lower temperature as compared to the outer surroundings. The park hosts various species of plants as well as animals.
- Imagicaa: It is a theme park located 53 KM to the southeast of Pandav kund waterfall near Khopoli. The place offers various rides including water rides. The best place for the weekend gateway is in the vicinity of Mumbai as well as Pune. It is a combination of Amusement park, water park and snow park.
- Thane creek: The place has a flamingo sanctuary and it is located 27.3 KM to the northwest of Pandav kund waterfall. The creek is surrounded by mangrove forests and it welcomes various migratory birds every year from January to March. Numerous varieties can be observed including flamingos.
- Lonavala: Located 72 KM southeast of Pandava kund is one of the famous hill stations in the Pune district. Along with site seeing this place offers a lot to the tourists from Mumbai as well as from Pune. The place becomes more attractive during the monsoon season as a number of waterfalls swell in this season. It is a popular weekend getaway for people of Mumbai as well as Pune and surrounding regions.
Special food speciality and hotel
There are some small fast food eateries on the way from Kharghar railway station to Pandav kund falls. Maharashtrian cuisine is the speciality of this place. Other multicuisine options are also available in Kharghar.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Since this waterfall is surrounded by forest, the places of settlements and infrastructure are slightly away from here.
There are many hotels near the Kharghar railway station.
A few hospitals are there on the way approx. 8 to 10 minutes away from Pandav kund.
The nearest post office is at 6.5 KM in Belapur CBD.
The nearest Police station is at 6.5 KM in Belapur CBD.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit
Monsoon and winter are the best times to visit Pandav Kund falls. However, it should be avoided during heavy rain from a safety perspective.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi and Marathi.