Surya Dam is situated on the Surya river in the Palghar district. Its official name is Dhamni Dam D02997 which comes from the Dhamni village where it is located. The dam belongs to the Irrigation Department of Govt. of Maharashtra.
Palghar District, Maharashtra, India.
Surya dam is an earth-fill dam falling in the small-scale category from Palghar district. It was constructed for the irrigational purpose of agricultural activities. In 1999, the Surya Hydroelectric Project was commissioned by the Government of Maharashtra and then handed over to the state electricity board in May 2002. The plant's capacity is 6 MW, generated by one Vertical shaft Kaplan turbine, manufactured by BHEL.
The height of the dam above the lowest foundation is 59 m (194 ft) while the length is 1,563 m (5,128 ft). The volume content is 300 cu mi and the gross storage capacity is 68,449.51 cu mi. The total surface area is 16,130 sq. KM. It is located to the east of Palghar and the north of Thane.
The climate at this place is hot and humid with abundance of rainfall, the Konkan belt experiences High Rainfall which ranges around 2500 mm to 4500 mm.The temperature reaches up to 30 degrees Celsius during this season.
Summers are hot and humid, and the temperature touches 40 degrees Celsius.
Winters have a comparatively milder climate (around 28 degrees Celsius), and the weather remains Cool and Dry
Things to do
The dam provides very good scenery since it is surrounded by mountains and lush green trees and to enjoy nature. It is not advisable to get into the water as it is risky.
Nearest tourist places
- Jivdani Temple: Jivdani Mata is a Hindu Goddess. The main temple of the goddess is situated near Virar. The temple is on the hill, almost 1500 ft from sea level. One has to climb approximately 1500 steps to reach here. Distance from Surya Dam is 54 KM.
- Tungareshwar Temple: Tungareshwar Temple is located in Vasai (2177 feet above the ground on the highest mountain plateau of Tungareshwar. The temple is dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva. This is one of the Mythological Temples and also has RamKund on the backside area. Distance from the Surya dam is 56 KM.
- Tandulwadi Fort: Tandulwadi Fort is located near Saphale. The elevation of the fort is approximately 1500 ft. A small water pond is situated atthe centre. Once you reach at the top of the fort, Takmak fort, Asheri fort, Kohoj fort and the Arabian sea can be seen from there. 13 KM from Surya Dam.
- Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary: Tungareshwar wildlife sanctuary also known as Tungareshwar National Park is located on a plateau to the east of Vasai and Virar. One can find approximately 600 species of plants, more than 200 species of birds and 150 butterflies’ species over here. Distance from Surya Dam is 59 KM.
- Dahanu Mahalaxmi Temple: Mahalaxmi Temple is one of the most popular attractions of Dahanu. This temple was believed to be built by Koli king Jayabha Mukne of Jawhar State in 1306 at the establishment of Jawhar. Distance from Surya Dam is 43.6 KM.
- Bassein Fort: Fort Bassein, also known as Vasai Fort. The fort is a major tourist attraction in the region. Different species of Butterflies, birds, plants and reptiles can be witnessed here. Distance from Surya dam is 66.5 KM.
Special food speciality and hotel
The speciality of this place is Vadval, which gets its uniqueness from the local vegetable produce. Its food festivals offer rare fish pickles and chutneys. There are several varieties of dishes, some of which are:
Panmodi (Saweli), Aambil, Indel, Ubad handi, Thankuli, Patoli and many others.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Various hotels and resorts are available near Palghar.
General Hospital is at 2 KM near Surya Dam.
The post office is at 11 KM in Palghar.
The police station is also available at 7 KM at Manor.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit
The place is accessible throughout the year, but the dam looks beautiful during the monsoon months. The best time to visit the dam is from July till January. The summers are hot and dry. In the winter season, the temperature remains comfortable for sightseeing.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi, Marathi