Gangapur Dam - DOT-Maharashtra Tourism
Gangapur Dam is on the Godavari river near Nashik inMaharashtra, India. The dam is one of the oldest dams inMaharashtra that provides drinking water to the Nashik city.Many migratory birds can be spotted in the evening.
Nashik district, Maharashtra, India.
The project for the construction of a dam on River Godavari near village Gangapur, Taluka and District Nashik and was sanctioned by the Government of Bombay in the year of 1949. The dam has total storage capacity of 5.5 TMC of water. It is an earth-fill dam i.e. constructed with soil layers. The height of the dam is 36.59 m and the length of the dam is about 3,902 m. Some prehistoric stone tools were reported from the vicinity of the Dam.
The Gangapur dam is constructed on Godavari River surrounded by hills and other dams in its vicinity such as Gautami and Kashyapi. The dam is located 16 kms to the northwest of Nashik city.
The weather is hot and dry with maximum of 32° C and 14° C minimum temperature. On an average the place receives 1200- 1500 mm rainfall annually.
Things to do
● There is a beautiful and attractive garden near the dam where you can spend leisure time with your family, enjoying the blissful, picturesque scenery of the river.
● The dam offers a beautiful boat club and water sport activities managed by MTDC.
● The dam has served as extraordinary place for stargazing and one can also watch the moonrise while standing on the highest point. The Picturesque environment attracts many tourists and locals for picnics.
● Nasik is famous for its shopping streets and it is a best place for shopping enthusiasts. One can find a range of items starting from handicrafts, silver items, souvenirs to ancient copper remains and statues of brass.
Nearest tourist place
● Pandav Leni: The travelling distance from Gangapur Dam to Pandava Leni is about 19 KM. Pandav leni is one such place that falls in Nashik, Maharashtra. It is a chain of 24 caves of the Buddhist era. It is a very much undiscovered beauty that deserves a visit.
● Anjaneri: The distance from Gangapur Dam to Anjaneri is 33.7 KM, about 47 minutes of drive. Anjaneri is one of the exquisite attractions near Nashik city. It is believed to be the birthplace of Lord Hanuman. A trek through the hills of Anjaneri to experience breath-taking panorama of the village. Along this trek, you can see a huge grassland covered with beautiful flowers. The best time to visit this place is in winter and the rainy season.
● Mukti Dham: Located at 23.9 KM away from Gangapur Dam. Mukti Dham is a unique temple depicting the important Hindu pilgrim centers in India. Made of pure marble from Makrana, Rajasthan, the temple is one of the prime attractions in Nashik city. Inside this marvellous temple, you will come across all eighteen adhyayas (chapters) from the holy book Bhagwat Geeta, carved on the walls along with replication of the twelve Jyotirlingas.
● Sula Vineyards: Nashik is popularly known as ‘Wine capital of India’ due to the large-scale production of grapes and wines. One can take a guided tour to Sula vineyards where one can see the production process of wine. Each year during January, Sula Fest has been organised to this place where renowned International music bands perform at this place
Special food speciality and hotel
Nashik is famous for its variety of street food. Chivada and Misal Pav are the most loved snacks from Nashik. There are many restaurants and street vendors that serve a variety of cuisines.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Various hotels and resorts are available near Gangapur Dam. Hospitals are available within a short distance. The nearest post office is 3 KM away from the dam. The nearest police station is located at 10.7 KM.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit
It requires the permission of the mayor to enter the dam. The best time to visit is in the monsoon season.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi, Marathi.