Nagaon is a small coastal town located on the western coast of India in the Raigad district of Maharashtra. It serves as a central place for surrounding beaches such as Murud, Alibaug, Kihim, Mandva and Akshi. A popular weekend getaway for tourists from Mumbai and Pune.
Raigad district of Maharashtra, India.
Nagaon Beach is a clean and unpolluted beach lying in the vicinity of Alibaug. The coast has dense suru (casuarina), betel, and palm trees, and is known for its mesmerizing greenery. The silky and sparkling golden sand of this beach offers an amazing place for visitors to relax, sunbathe, and enjoy interesting beach games. Additionally, one can enjoy different water sports like parasailing, banana boats, motorboats, jet skiing, etc.
Nagaon is a coastal place located in the Konkan region of Maharashtra in between green-topped Sahyadri mountains and the blue Arabian sea. It is 102 KM south of Mumbai and 184 KM to the west of Pune.
The prominent weather in the region is rainfall, the Konkan belt experiences High Rainfall (ranges around 2500 mm to 4500 mm), and the climate remains Humid and warm. The temperature reaches up to 30 degrees Celsius during this season.
Summers are hot and humid, and the temperature touches 40 degrees Celsius.
Winters have a comparatively milder climate (around 28 degrees Celsius), and the weather remains Cool and Dry.
Things to do
Nagaon is famous for water sport activities such as parasailing, banana boat rides, motor boat rides, jet-skiing, surfing, Dolphin trips, lighthouse trips, fort trips etc.
Since the water is calm at this place it is ideal for swimming and boating.
Horses, camels as well as buggies are available for riding on the beach.
Nearest tourist place
One can plan to visit the following tourist places along with Nagaon
● Revdanda beach and fort: Situated 12 KM south of Nagaon, this place is famous for its Portuguese fort and beach.
● Korlai Fort: Situated 15.9 KM south of Nagaon beach. It was one of the huge forts constructed by the Portuguese which could accommodate 7000 horses. Korlai Fort is yet another architectural wonder, like most other forts situated in the Konkan region, and deserves a visit for its stunning visuals and historic importance.
● Phansad wildlife sanctuary: Located 34.7 KM away from Nagaon via Alibaug Revdanda road. It is home to more than 700 different types of plants as well as an exceptional range of birds, butterflies, moths, snakes and mammal species.
● Kolaba fort: Situated in the Arabian sea surrounded by water from all sides, this 300 plus-year-old fort is one of the tourist attractions. The Kolaba Fort was Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj's last construction and was completed almost on the eve of his death in April 1680. It attained importance under the Angres and was the main base of the Maratha navy.
● Kashid beach: One of the safest beaches in the surrounding region, located 25.5 KM to the south of Nagaon. Kashid is famous for its white sand, blue seas, green mountains and rice fields. It is an unfrequented beach and does not attract huge crowds. One needs to be careful during monsoon time as the waves can be 5-6 feet high.
● Varsoli Beach: This beach is situated just on the outskirts of Alibaug, a lesser-visited beach by the tourists, hence it is a quiet beach with sparkling white sand and clean seawater.There are beautiful coconut and Casuarina trees on the coast.Famous as a Naval base for the Indian Army.
● Murud Janjira Fort: The fort was built in the 17th century and it is located off the coast of Murud into the sea. It is an architectural wonder situated 50 KM away. This fort is situated on an oval-shaped rock. The fort has 19 rounded bastions.
How to travel to tourist place by Rail, Air, Road(train, flight, bus) with distance and required time
Nagaon is accessible by road, rail as well as waterways.
It is connected to NH 66, Mumbai-Goa Highway. State transport, buses and cabs are available from Mumbai to Alibaug, from there taxis and auto-rickshaws are available.
The ferry operates from Gateway of India to Mandwa, and local cars are available from Mandwa.
Nearest Airport: Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Airport Mumbai 108 KM (3hr 2 mins)
Nearest Railway Station: Pen 36 KM (58mins)
Special food specialty and hotel
Being on the coastal part of Maharashtra, seafood is a specialty here. However, it is one of the most visited tourist destinations and is connected to Mumbai, the restaurants here serve a variety of cuisine.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Accommodation is available in the form of Hotels, resorts,cottages and homestay.
The nearest hospitals are in Alibaug.
The nearest post office is available at a distance of 3 KM.
The nearest police station is at a distance of 9.8 KM near Alibaug
MTDC Resort nearby details
MTDC resort and cottages are available near Alibaug.
Visiting Rule and Time,Best month to visit
The place is accessible throughout the year. The best time to visit is from October to March since the plentiful rainfall lasts from June to October, and the summers are hot and humid.
Tourists should check the timings of high as well as low tides before entering the sea.
High tides during the monsoon season could be dangerous hence should be avoided.
Language spoken in
English, Hindi, Marathi, Urdu