Tansa Lake is in the Thane District of the Konkan region of Maharashtra. The lake is the main source of water for the city of Mumbai. It provides 3 million gallons of water every day to Mumbai through specially laid pipelines.
Thane District, Maharashtra, India.
Tansa is one of the major dams providing water to Mumbai city. It was originally constructed by Britishers between 1892-1925. To fulfill the increasing requirement of water in Mumbai, this dam has been raised several times since then.
Tansa dam is situated amongst the lush green hills in the western part of Maharashtra. It is located to the north east of Thane district as well as to the south west of Nashik district. It has Bhatsa reservoir to its east and River Vaitarna flows from the north of this dam.
The climate at this place is hot and humid with abundance of rainfall, the Konkan belt experiences High Rainfall which ranges around 2500 mm to 4500 mm. The temperature reaches up to 30 degrees Celsius during this season.
Summers are hot and humid, and the temperature touches 40 degrees Celsius.
Winters have a comparatively milder climate (around 28 degrees Celsius), and the weather remains Cool and Dry
Things to do
The place is popular for its scenic beauty. The place has a calm and clean environment hence, it attracts a lot of tourists from Mumbai, Thane and surrounding regions. It is a known spot for bird watching and camping.
Nearest tourist place
● Thane creek: The place has a flamingo sanctuary and it is located 66 KM to the southwest of Tansa dam. The creek is surrounded by mangrove forests and it welcomes various migratory birds every year from January to March. Numerous varieties can be observed including flamingos.
● Tungareshwar National Park: The park is located at a distance of 55 KM from the Tansa dam. It is surrounded by dense forests and serves as a house for many plants and animals. The place provides scenic beauty during the monsoon season as various waterfalls bloom during this period. Various migratory birds can be seen here from January to March.
● Hot water springs in Vajreshawari and Ganeshpuri: The hot water springs are located at a distance of 35 KM from the Tansa dam. The places are popular for natural hot water springs where one can experience similar temperature and water levels throughout the year despite the season. Additionally, these hot water springs bear some medical importance as well.
● Igatpuri: One of the popular hill stations in Nashik district is just 54 KM away from Tansa Dam. Igatpuri is also known as Cherrapunji of Nashik district as it receives maximum rainfall in the district. During monsoon season this place offers picturesque views of its foggy valleys and several waterfalls. It is also popular for its Vipassana (Meditation) centre.
● Mumbai: The dam is situated 79 KM away from the capital city of Maharashtra. Mumbai is famous for its beaches, religious places such as Shri Siddhivinayak, Mahalaxmi, Lalbaug Raja, etc. and festivals such as Ganeshotsav as well Gokulashtami. Most importantly it is famous for its Bollywood industry as well as National Park. The city has a lot to offer to its tourists.
● Nashik: The place has great importance for its pleasant climatic conditions as well as its religious places. It gathers pilgrims from all the corners of the country during Sinhasth Kumbh. The place is also popularly known as “The Wine Capital of India.” It is situated 99 KM away from the Tansa dam.
How to travel to tourist place by Rail, Air, Road (train, flight, bus) with distance and required time
It is well connected by road by Eastern Express highway/Mumbai Agra National highway, one can reach over here by private vehicles. It is situated 79 KM (2 hr 15 min) from Mumbai, 99 KM (3 hrs) from Nashik and 71 KM (1 hr 55 min) from Thane.
Nearest railway station :If one travels by suburban trains from Mumbai then Atgaon is 16 KM (32 mins) and for express trains, Kasara 38.3 KM (56min) is the nearest station.
Nearest airport: Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport 88 KM (2hrs 10 min)
Special food speciality and hotel
The place offers Maharashtrian cuisine, especially fish and rice. Since it is connected to the Mumbai Agra highway, numerous hotels and restaurants offer a variety of cuisines.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Various hotels are available near Tansa along the Mumbai Agra highway at a distance of 15 KM from the dam.
Hospitals are available in Shahapur 31 KM away from Tansa lake
Post Office is available at Aghai, 2 KM away.
The nearest Police station is located in Shahapur at 22 KM.
MTDC Resort nearby details
The nearest MTDC resort is available at a distance of 35 KM near Vajreshwari.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to visit
The place is accessible throughout the year but the most
pleasant time will be during monsoon for site seeing and after
monsoon for camping and bird watching.
Tourists are advised to visit the place in the early morning to
witness various migratory birds.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi, Marathi.