Tourist Destination / Place
Lonar lake, also known as Lonar crater, is formed due to the meteorite collision. It is a notified Geo-heritage Monument with saline and alkaline water. Also declared as Wildlife sanctuary for the conservation of animals, plants as well as lake.
Districts / Region
Buldana district, Maharashtra, India.
Unique Features / Exclusivity
The lake has been known since ancient times. British officer, J.E. Alexander was the first European officer to visit this in the year 1823. Earlier it was believed that the lake might have been formed due to vulcanism but later on with the help of research studies it was found that the lake has formed as a result of an impact of an extra-terrestrial body, either an asteroid or comet.
Lonar Crater sits inside the Deccan Plateau, a massive plain of volcanic basalt rock created by eruptions. The oval shaped lake inhabits various bacteria as well as microorganisms.
Weather / Climate
The region is mostly dry throughout the year, and Summers are extreme. The temperatures in summers are around 30-40 degrees Celsius.
Winters here came to be as low as 10 degrees Celsius.
The average annual rainfall in this region is around 1064.1 mm.
Things To Do
Activities like Boating, Trekking, Shopping are available. One can visit places like Gomukh Temple, Vishnu Temple, Balaji Temple.
Nearest Tourist Place
- Gomukh Temple: - The temple lies near the boundary of the water stream and is believed holy, by the devotees. One can spot animals like snakes, langurs, deer, foxes, and mongooses in the surrounding areas. It is a must visit place in this locality.
- DaityaSudhan Temple: - This ancient temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and belongs to the Chaitya Dynasty that ruled the region between the 6th and 12th centuries AD. The temple has been constructed in Hemadpanti style of architecture resembling an irregular star. One can observe the carvings on the wall depicting various mythological stories.
- Shree GajananMaharajSansthan: This Sansthan came into existence in 1908 in the holy presence of Shree Maharaj. The temple has been renovated with marble on the occasion of completion of its 100 years. One of the most neat and clean temples in the country.
- AnandSagar: Though the area doesn’t receive ample rainfall and it is well known for its droughts, scorching summers and lack of rainfall still a wonderful lake has been created at this place with a creativity and great vision. A must visit place during the evening or early morning for peaceful moments.
- Kamalja Devi Temple: Kamalja Devi temple is located adjacent to the lake and also features carved images. It is one of the popular tourist attractions in this region.
- Botha Forest: Botha reserve forest is situated at BuldhanaKhamgaon road and it serves as a habitat to animals such as tigers and deers. It also has lakes and various plant species.
- Sindkhed Raja Fort: Sindhked Raja is popular for the palace of LakhujiraoJadhav, father of Jijabai. This place was built in the late sixteenth century by LakhujiJhadav. It happens to be a birth place of Jijabai who was born in this place on 12 January 1598.
How To Travel To Tourist Place
By Air , Rail, Road (Flight, Train , Bus ) with distance and required time
- By Flight : SHIONI Airport, Akola 134 KM (3hr 10 min)SHIONI Airport, Akola 134 KM (3hr 10 min)
- By Train : Partur railway station 67.1 KM (1hr 45 min).
- By Bus : It is connected to Mumbai with NH 548 C, state transport, private, and luxury buses are available from the cities such as Aurangabad 139 KM (3 hr 30 min), Jalna 82 KM (1hr 50 min) and Buldana 92 KM (2 hr 45 min).
Special Food Speciality And Hotel
Maharashtrian food or cuisine is the speciality of this place. ShegaonKachori is the most popular dish in the region.
Accommodation Facilities Nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police Station
Various hotels and restaurants are available near Lonar Crater Buldana
Hospitals are available near Lonar Crater Buldana around 3.9 KM
The nearest Post office is available at Hirdav 11.6 KM away from the crater.
The nearest police station is at a distance of 3.2 KM in Lonar.
MTDC Resort Nearby Details
MTDC resort is available near Lonar Crater Buldana.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best Month To
The best time to visit the place is between October-March, avoiding heat and rainy weather to get a clear view of the surroundings.
Language Spoken In Area
English, Hindi and Marathi.