Tourist Destination / Place
Panchakki is a water mill constructed to generate energy from water flowing from a spring on a mountain. The architecture displays the scientific advancements during the Medieval period and is a beautiful site worth visiting while travelling to Aurangabad.
Aurangabad District, Maharashtra, India.
Unique Features / Exclusivity
‘Panchakki’ is a medieval genius of engineering, which used to generate energy from water flowing from a nearby spring from a mountain. The complex was developed in the 17th-18th century by Turktaz Khan and Jamil Begh Khan who was noble to churn flour for the pilgrims, disciples of saints and troops.
There is a building connected to the dargah of Baba Shah Musafir, a Sufi Saint. This building is situated in a garden near the Mahmud Darvaza. We can see a mosque, a madrassa, a kacheri, a minister's house, a Sarai and houses for zananas at this place. All these places make our visit worthwhile.
One of the amazing facts is that the water is still carried to the site from the old clay pipes from a distance of 6 KM. The water is then emptied into a huge main tank from an elevated stone pillar.
It is situated in the Godavari and Tapti river basins and is at a distance of 5.8 KM from Aurangabad city.
The region has a hot and dry climate. The summers are more extreme than winters and monsoon, with a temperature up to 40.5 degrees Celsius.
Winters are mild, and the average temperature varies from 28-30 degrees Celsius.
The monsoon season has extreme seasonal variations, and the annual rainfall is around 726 mm.
Things To Do
One may go around Panchakki and see the scientific brilliance of the place.
One may admire the beauty and architecture of the place.
Nearest Tourist Place
- Bibi ka Maqbara (1.8 KM)
- Soneri Mahal (2.6 KM)
- Daulatabad fort (15 KM)
- Aurangabad Caves (3.6 KM)
- Ellora Caves (28 KM)
- Chand Minar (15 KM)
- Siddharth Garden and Zoo (2.5 KM)
How To Travel To Tourist Place
By Air , Rail, Road (Flight, Train , Bus ) with distance and required time
- By Flight :Aurangabad Airport (11.1 KM)
- By Train : Aurangabad Railway Station (4.2 KM). Cabs and Private vehicles can be hired from the station.
- By Bus : Aurangabad is well connected from adjoining cities like Ahmednagar (115 KM), Jalgaon (157 KM). MSRTC Buses and Luxury Buses are available from all adjoining cities and towns.
Special Food Speciality And Hotel
● Non-veg: Naan Khaliya ● Vegetarian: Hurda, Daal Batti, Vaangi Bharata (a special preparation of Brinjal/Eggplant), Shev Bhaji ● Agricultural Produce: Bananas from Jalgaon.
Accommodation Facilities Nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police Station
Various accommodation facilities are available in the vicinity.
Begumpura Police station (1.6 KM) is the nearest police station.
Saoji Hospital (1.3 KM) is the nearest hospital.
MTDC Resort Nearby Details
MTDC Aurangabad Resort (4.4 KM) is the nearest MTDC Resort.
Tour Operator Information
Visiting Rule and Time, Best Month To
● The timing to visit the site is from 8:00 A.M to 9:30 P.M.
● Wear clothes appropriate to the weather.
Language Spoken In Area
English, Hindi, Marathi.