Tourist Destination / Place
Sevagram Ashram is one of the places from where Mahatma Gandhi had started his fight for the freedom of India.
Districts / Region
Wardha District, Maharashtra, India.
Unique Features / Exclusivity
Originally known as Segaon, a village located on the outskirts of Wardha was made a centre by Gandhiji in 1936. For the next 12 years, Gandhiji stayed here.
As most of the land of Wardha was under Jamnalal Bajaj, he had constructed this Ashram for Gandhiji. During the construction, Gandhiji put a condition, that the cost of construction of this Ashram should not exceed 500 rupees, and only material available locally should be used for the construction.
The attractions in the Ashram in its natural habitat includes:
● BapuKuti where Mahatma Gandhi lived.
● Ba Kuti where Mahatma Gandhi's wife Kasturba lived.
● AdiNivas: As the name suggests this cottage was built firstly. Mahatma Gandhi and his followers used to reside here.
● Gandhiji’s Secretariat: This room was used to keep in contact with the outside world. The telephone which was given by British officials for talks with Gandhiji, a cage and wooden scissors which were used to trap snakes is exhibited in this room.
● Bapu’s Kitchen
● Kishore Niwas
● Gandhiji Exhibition
The YatriNiwas and Gandhiji Exhibition were constructed in the recent years of 1982 and 1991 respectively.
The Ashram is located 8.1 KM to the East from the city of Wardha.
Weather / Climate
The region is mostly dry throughout the year, and Summers are extreme. The temperatures in summers are around 30-40 degrees Celsius.
Winters here came to be as low as 10 degrees Celsius.
The average annual rainfall in this region is around 1064.1 mm.
Things To Do
By visiting the Ashram one can view the various cottages, belongings of Mahatma Gandhi are on display. One can also view the Gandhi Photo Exhibition displaying the life and works of Mahatma Gandhi.
Nearest Tourist Place
- Mahatma Gandhi Museum (0.5 KM)
- Paramdham Ashram (18.3 KM)
- Bor Tiger Reserve (31.6 KM)
- Deoli Dam (33.1 KM)
- Kanholibara Dam (38.3 KM)
- Panchdhara Waterfall (43 KM)
How To Travel To Tourist Place
By Air , Rail, Road (Flight, Train , Bus ) with distance and required time
- By Flight : Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport Nagpur (69.2 KM).
- By Train : Wardha Junction Railway Station(9.3 KM). Cabs and Private vehicles can be hired from the station.
- By Bus : Wardha is connected to all adjoining cities by road like Mumbai (733 KM), Pune (633 KM), Amravati (117 KM), Nagpur (75.8 KM). MSRTC Buses and Luxury Buses are available from adjoining cities and towns.
Special Food Speciality And Hotel
Traditional Maharashtrian Cuisine
Accommodation Facilities Nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police Station
Accommodation facilities are available in the vicinity.
Sevagram Police Station (3.8 KM) is the closest Police Station.
Sevagram Hospital (1.9 KM) is the nearest hospital.
MTDC Resort Nearby Details
MTDC Hotel and Tangerine Restaurant(76.9 KM) is the closest MTDC approved hotel.
Visiting Rule and Time, Best Month To
● The Ashram can be visited at any time of the year.
● There is no entrance fee.
Language Spoken In Area
English, Hindi, Marathi.