Taraporewala Matsalaya - DOT-Maharashtra Tourism
Tourist Destination / Place
Taraporewala Matsalaya or Aquarium is a populartourist destination in Mumbai exploring varied kinds of marine and freshwater fishes. This aquarium is at the other place of attraction for tourists named Marine Drive.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Unique Features / Exclusivity
Taraporewala Matsalaya stands as one of the largest and oldest aquariums in the city of Mumbai. It was built in 1951. Taraporewala Matsalaya was established by D.B. Taraporewala. It was renovated in 2015 measuring a 12 feet length and 360-degree acrylic glass tunnel.
There are several kinds of aquatic life located in this aquarium. Marine water fish, freshwater fish, turtles, starfish, moray eels, stingrays etc. are the attractions of this aquarium. One can witness reefs and fossils too. The aquarium is equipped with a small Amphitheatre with a seating capacity of 50 people where documentaries on fish and aquatic life are shown.
Facing the Arabian sea, Taraporewala Matsyalaya is in the Southern Part of Mumbai City, the financial capital of India.
The prominent weather in the region is rainfall, the Konkan belt experiences High Rainfall (ranges around 2500 mm to 4500 mm), and the climate remains Humid and warm. The temperature reaches up to 30 degrees Celsius during this season.
Summers are hot and humid, and the temperature touches 40 degrees Celsius. Winters have comparatively milder climate (around 28 degrees Celsius), and the weather remains Cool and Dry.
Things to do
● Enjoy various Documentaries of Fish and the Marine Ecosystem.
● One can enjoy Fish Pedicure
Nearest tourist place
- Marine Drive or the Queen’s Necklace (1.0 KM)
- Hanging garden (6.1 KM)
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (3.4 KM)
- Gateway of India (3.8 KM)
- Haji Ali Dargah (6 KM)
- Mumba Devi Temple (1.5 KM)
- Asiatic Society of Mumbai Townhall (4.4 KM)
How to travel
How to travel to tourist place by Rail, Air, Road (train ,flight, bus ) with distance and required time
- By Air: Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International airport is the nearest airport 22.4 KM
- By Rail: Charni Road Railway Station (2.7 KM)
- By Road: the aquarium is well connected by roads in the city of Mumbai. Cabs and private Vehicles can be hired to go here.
Special food speciality and hotel
Vada Pav, Pav Bhaji, Bun Maska, etc. are some of the must try dishes in Mumbai.
Accommodation facilities nearby & Hotel/ Hospital/Post Office/Police station
Hotels are available. Small food shops are available and they provide basic food and water. Hotels are available for stay.
L T Marg Police Station (1.6 KM)
Public Hospital (2.2 KM)
Visiting Rule and Time, Best month to
● The aquarium is open from 10:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. on weekdays.
● On public holidays including Sundays, the aquarium is open from 10:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M.
● Visit any time of the year.
● Entrance tickets are available according to the visitor category.
Language spoken in area
English, Hindi, Marathi.